Insurance 101 – Chapter 8 – Volume 82 – Fair Market Value

Fair Market Value

It is imperative that, when applying depreciation to determine actual cash value, that the adjuster include all reasonable costs and depreciate those costs. Taking out the “profit and overhead” in a contractor’s bid bears no relation to the determination of actual cash value or the true profit or overhead of the contractor. The “traditional” calculation of profit and overhead is 10% of the total bid for profit and 10% for overhead. In reality, profit and overhead is usually incorporated in the unit costs in the contractor’s bid and the 20% is a bonus on top of the profit and overhead built into the basic unit costs. Once this fact is recognized, the calculation of actual cash value by use of replacement cost less physical depreciation becomes part of a total bid.

The following video was adapted from my book, “Insurance Claims A Comprehensive Guide” Published by the National Underwriter Company and is available at the Zalma Insurance Claims Library

Legal Disclaimer

The author and publisher disclaim any liability, loss, or risk incurred as a consequence, directly or indirectly, of the use and application of any of the contents of this blog. The information provided is not a substitute for the advice of a competent insurance, legal, or other professional. The Information provided at this site should not be relied on as legal advice. Legal advice cannot be given without full consideration of all relevant information relating to an individual situation.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *